The barber shop located at 401 1/2 Mulberry Street in Loudon, TN was built in 1953 by the Greer family, owners of Greer’s Furniture. It was part of an addition to the furniture store which was added between the then-new furniture store annex and Richesin’s pharmacy (now Southeastern Title Search).
The barber shop was rented to and run by Sanford Pope from 1953 until 1954 under the name “City Barbershop.” Mr. Pope opted out of barber shop management one year later and moved on to bigger and better things in life.
It was at this time (1954) that the second proprietor of the shop began operations. Gene Dills took over and changed the name of the barber shop to “Dill’s Barber Shop.” Mr. Dills was in charge of the shop until his death in 1978. Mr. Dills passed away from a heart attack while at work in the shop.
Mr. Dills’ widow sold her deceased husband’s interest in the business to Ted Watts after Dills’ passing in 1978. Watts rented and operated the business under the name “Ted’s Barber Shop” until 1994 when he decided to retire at the age of sixty-two.
Rex Mingie, the current owner, worked with Ted Watts from August of 1992 until his retirement in August of 1994. Mingie has been the proprietor of the barber shop since.